Sunday, January 30, 2011

Post-detox day one: just say no to the pizza

There are times in a woman's life, where she is tested. Cancer diagnosis to be sure, but pizza under her nose one day post-cleanse is a completely different challenge.

Let's be clear here - my kids very likely hate me after the last four weeks of veg, veg and more veg. I made them pancakes the other night but they were also fairly stuffed with shredded veg. I think they realize it's all here to stay but they're not going quietly. So last night I was happy to indulge Frances with a cheese pizza and Stella with a grilled cheese sandwich. Even though my menu screamed PASTA!! at me, I managed to dial it back to some salmon, spinach orzo and some fried calamari. But today, the leftover pizza was in my face, mocking me.

I heated it up for the girls and got busy with a salad for Pete and me. It's good to be tested when left alone with bread and cheese in the kitchen. But not one bite, y'all. Okay, I hate all the good food/bad food schtick with diets. I think it just fetishizes food and makes eating a carton of ice cream something a bad girl does once in a while, so sue me. And yes, everything in moderation and all that crap. But I truly do want to set some standards for myself and continue to say no to the stuff that is my kryptonite. I know sugar is crack - and not just for me - so I have to say no to it as much as I can without becoming a nun. And if I want to continue to live in an alkaline bod and say no to disease as much as I can, then I have to make this my life and not just for shits and giggles.

So it's day one post-detox and I'm living off of Advil for my burn but still loving the juice and salads. I've got my veggie buying and storing and prepping down to a science and I like it that way. Will I never have a slice of pizza again. That's just stupid. But it will be the 1% of my diet that is the wild card of life. All about decisions, no? Hells, I'm no expert, but if I can figure this part out for myself, I can make the last seven months count for something good.

2 comments:

  1. Every evening your aunt and I juice for 4. We have got the process down to some kind of science but the shopping for veggies still has a feeling of chaos in it. I am a "most for your money" kind of shopper - and end up going to several stores looking for the right price. I'm now almost sure that the gas spent travelling negates the amount I am saving so am trying to change my habits. Still can't resist looking at the flyers that come in the papers to see what veggies they all have on special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God damn mocking pizza! I hate when that happens. People should learn to cover up those leftovers. I would probably just take a bite and that would suit me. All I need of some baddies is a bite and I'm good to go.
    Sounds like you have a healthy lifelong eating plan and isn't that the most important first step. You continue to amaze me. Plan, organize and keep to it as much as you can. Of course, you'll stray a little once in a while; but that's okay.......we're all human. Aren't we?
    I'm now caught up on your posts and again have learned something along the way. Happy packing for PS......it's a beauty down there! xo

    ReplyDelete