Saturday, January 8, 2011

P.S. I hope I love you

We're booked, baby. Palm Springs on February 5 for eight days and I'm excited!


I crammed the booking process into the two hours I was home yesterday after a full carnival of cancer at the BCCA: radiation, radiation onc, pre-Herceptin check-in with onc, Herceptin. It was fairly routine. A five-minute zap after a five-minute waiting room stint. A five minute radiation onc visit after a five-minute waiting room stint. A five minute pre-Herceptin check-in before a 45-minute Herceptin injection to finish the day.

Only unusual thing was that my regular onc was away so I had a new doc, Dr. K, who I swear to the goddesses, when he crept in the room I thought he was going to ask me if I knew where his mother was.  He looked like Justin Long but about one foot shorter, 50 lbs lighter and 20 years younger. He had these little shaking, delicate hands that looked like they hadn't touched anything but lukewarm water, let alone an axe, some drywall or a little roofing material.

"Like, is everything going, like, okay, Mrs. McCart?"

"Um, yep. Seems to be."

"Okay, like, do you, like, have any questions or, like, is anything, like, unusual?" His eyes keep darting to my chest in fear and for a very long moment I considered making him examine me so he could weep in his mother's arms later about the horror of it all.

"Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... no, everything's fine." Couldn't bring myself to torture the poor lad. "But I did want to ask if it was okay for me to travel a week or so after the radiation's complete."

"That should, like, be, like, fine."

Sweet. You're free to go now.

So I sped home, decided on a couple of places to stay, found a sweet flight deal, and stuffed it all onto my Amex. I may not have the cash for this trip, but fuck if I'm gonna let a little thing like moulah stop me from getting my senior citizen on and heading to the desert for a break.

Can't. Wait.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, the other different thing you had yesterday was that your mom and dad were allowed to sit with you while you had your herceptin! I liked the room you were taken to, I liked the nurses, who already knew you and loved you, and I liked that we had 45 minutes of your complete attention while you sat received the stuff. Love you Babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a day...............and WOW, WHAT A DAY!! You're going to PS..............!!!! How many more sleeps? Here wait, let me do it for you......................29 more sleeps! What a great way to relax! Enjoy looking forward to it!

    Crap, your replacement onc sounds like he's right out of the valley. Geez.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay..............for all you yet-to-be juicers---you gotta stop with the excuses and just do it.

    Excuse #1
    "I don't have a juicer." Buy one, borrow one, buy a used one..........you'll be thanking Carissa for many years to come.

    Excuse #2
    "It takes too much time." No it doesn't. I timed myself this morning, from beginning to end, 14 min. Providing you have washed all your veggies ahead of time, it doesn't take any longer than preparing/eating/cleaning up a regular brekkie (providing you eat breakfast).

    Excuse #3
    "It probably doesn't really help." YES it does! "Everything" feels better. This is one of many articles on juicing...check out Dr. Oz's column: https://spring.gov.bc.ca/exchange/DStJacqu/Inbox/FW:%20Dr%20Oz.EML/Dr%20OZ%20metabolism%20boost.pdf/C58EA28C-18C0-4a97-9AF2-036E93DDAFB3/Dr%20OZ%20metabolism%20boost.pdf?attach=1

    I put my drink in a tall fancy glass.........my Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. glass from New York Times Square. It's tall, heavy and has a cool shape. Makes me feel special. I'm treating my body right and I'm worth it. So are you.

    I also put all my veggies (washed and ready for use) in their separate bags AND then in a bigger bag (like the Walmart ones) and I keep it outside (it's cold enough) in my garage. When I'm ready to prepare, I just haul the bag in, count out the quantities, throw them in Ms. Breville, throw the bag back outside and clean up. Then I sit down and drink the goodness.

    I was concerned at first about not getting my blueberries, flax and fibre cereal for my brekky. However, I'm definitely getting the fibre in the veggies, and I now throw in a handful of blueberries and some flax. There you have it.

    Thanks Carissa for steering us all in the right direction. We all rock and we're all going to live healthy well into our 90s. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Diane has thrown down the lace glove, so to speak! Who is going to argue with her? I sure am not. Who has an excuse that is truly valid? I would like to hear it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Di, you're my superhero.

    She's right, tho. Even if you're not doing the detox, getting juice into your life is the best thing you can do this year. You're cramming all that veggie (and fruit) goodness in without making your body do any of the breakdancing work on the fibre of it all (get your fibre from salads/whole grains, etc.). The good enzymes go directly to your cells. Awesomeness.

    Don't get put off by the idea of drinking veggie juice and don't get caught in the sweetness trap of only juicing fruits. The right balance of lots of veg and a little fruit creates the tastiest beverage.

    And don't fool yourself into thinking the stuff at the grocery store is good for you. It's heat-pasteurized and just plain fruit sugar or sodium that your bod does not need. Fresh pressed is the only good stuff (so juice and drink within 24 hours). Have it for a snack, drink it 30 mins before a meal, drink it for breakfast. S'all good and I can't recommend it enough, y'all.

    And if you can't afford a new juicer, Craigslist and other used sites/stores have these things aplenty. Make juice, not war!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that that old and hackneyed word "homemade" is about to resurrect itself. Juice from your kitchen (or my kitchen for some) is the best there is!

    ReplyDelete