Monday, January 10, 2011

Cooking vs. following a recipe

We're fully into week two of the detox and I feel pretty great. There's still the question of the three-year old in our house having a cranky cold and making us all feel a little pissy in the morning, but I know that will end and we'll all be singing kumbaya again.

Pete continues to show off his superior cooking skills on the weekends. He's definitely a cook and not a recipe follower. When he gets in the kitchen, guaranteed that whatever comes out I'll love and the kids will pick at. He does this fabulous sweet/sour/spicy/salty combo that rocks my world. Last night it was a seemingly simple stirfry and miso'd eggplant, but I could have seriously stuffed my cheeks with the whole wokful.

When I get in there? Meh. Let's just say I like rules. Go ahead, all you cooks out there - gloat away. If I have a recipe, I'm golden, otherwise it's either a pathetic try or a so-so platter. Esp. when it comes to veggie/detox dishes. Give me a piece of veal or a chance to throw together a spaghetti sauce, and I can triumph, but the chances of me cooking veal again are pretty slim. So I try and try again with the contents of my crisper.

Howevs, I did put together a pretty mean raw corn salad from a web recipe the other night. It made me deliriously happy.

I'm thinking my energy these days is being directed at the growth of my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows. My eyebrows are Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-envy worthy, my eyelashes are poking through my lids like so many tiny black toothpicks, but my hair is far, far away from the Emma Watson pixie I covet as step one to looking like a woman with a haircut vs. a woman who is tousling with the c-dawg. All in good time, I know.

Today I'm heading for a noon-time laser blast and have to talk to the techs about double booking me for six days sometime between tomorrow and January 26 when I'm done. I have to wait six hours between treatments, so it'll be tricky trying to cram them into the day while still dropping off and picking up the girls.

The side effects are still pretty minimal. A bit of a heat rash and redness, but am awake like a mofo in the evenings all the time now. Is it the increased consumption of dark chocolate? Don't know, but it means I actually get to hang out with my boy at night instead of forcing him to watch me drool and snore on the couch. Poor bastard. If anyone deserves this PS trip more than my very own P-Diddy, you tell me who.

3 comments:

  1. My whole adult life of cooking has been "throw in", "make do", and "substitute"! Coming from a mother who got her grocery money every two weeks and who just had to be frugal, I love to be innovative, but sometimes the result is like a scientific experiment gone wrong. I make awful cookies because I do not measure precisely, I make wonderful pasta sauce but I CANNOT give the recipe to anyone. Not that it is a secret, I just don't ever add exactly the same things. The family cookbook that I just completed (with recipes from other family members) has some of my tried and true but, but the most part I follow my heart when I go into for the kitchen and plan for supper. I love it that way and most of the time it works, but, sometimes ....

    When you were a young, Carissa, you used to say I will have to marry a cook because I hate cooking - well you married a good one but I know you fight over who is going to cook sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me? I'm more a recipe follower. I have lots of my own "throw-togethers", but I tend to like the recipe. That's the black & white in me........no gray areas for this gal.

    I'm at the end of week one of the detox and feeling great........definitely more energy. I was hoping my arthritis would feel less threatening, but the cold snap has me all bent out of shape. With warmer weather coming, perhaps the detox will help with my pain after all.

    I can only imagine how much you and Pete are looking forward to PS. It won't be long after you get back, that this part of your life will be behind you.....once and for all! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great vegetarian recipes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbBCWZue57M

    ReplyDelete