Friday, January 14, 2011

Just breathe normally, Mrs. McCart

After fussing around with pneumonia back in the autumn of my cancer, the respirologist I saw before Christmas set up a pulmonary function test for today to establish a baseline for my lung health.

When I arrived at the hospital this morning I walked past the pulmonary lab on my way to reception and felt a big boom in my chest. There was a shower stall-sized glass chamber, an exercise bike and a gazillion monitors and breathing tubes. By the time I was called, I was a tad over-excited. Of course they shoved me in the hyperbaric chamber first and rushed through the instructions before shutting the door. I put the foam plug on my nose, fit my mouth around the rubber tube and bit down on the grip.

"Just breathe normally for awhile, Mrs. McCart," the young tech called from the other side of the glass. Because this is a completely normal situation for my lungs to be in.

I watched the monitor tracking my breaths in and breaths out, all over the place as I tried to regulate my breathing. When I finally self-talked my way into a few normal breaths I had to take a monster breath in and blow it out like someone was punching me in the gut. Then continue breathing out until my face turned blue. A few more tests like that and then I had to pant into the tube without blowing up my cheeks. And then pant with the airway closed off in the tube. That was a joy. Let's just say I got over my snorkeling/deep diving fear in that 60 minutes.

When it was over I felt so lucky to be able to breathe on my own that I forgot to use the loo on the way out (oh liquid breakfast, how I love you). I considered diving into the TB clinic for a washroom break but then figured I didn't want to become that kind of cautionary tale.

I was so stressed about the test today (sorry about the crankiness this morning, family) that I arrived at my rad appointment 30 minutes early. They fit me in anyhow and I was in and out in about 10 minutes.

We're halfway through the detox, peeps, and I feel good about most of it. It's still a pain in the arse to get everything prepped in the evenings, especially with the shitty sleeps I've been getting with little Miss sleeping in two-hour spurts in the bedroom next door. At night I just wanna crash on the couch, but I've been a good little soldier and have been washing my veggies and making salads for the next day. I know this has to become a regular part of my day if I want to keep up the good eating, so I'll keep it up until it's like brushing my teeth.

I can tell Pete's getting a little tired of the green salads at lunch but no one's going hungry in the house. Dinners have been great. Made a cauliflower mash last night (yum), some raw corn salad with coleslaw and mushrooms cooked in veggie broth and wine. No suffering here, folks.

Other than the constant peeing, the veggie buying and washing and prep, everything's pretty manageable. What say you?

6 comments:

  1. I'm doing great on my first official week; albeit I had a practice week until the book arrived. No one can believe that I am not drinking a quadruple americano every morning, but guess what? It's been nearly 2 weeks since I've had coffee and I feel great. I even kicked the sugar habit this week. Keep up the great work Carissa. Your body will be revitalized in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am doing well. Thanks to you Carissa! No coffee for 2 weeks, no white shit (including salt, y'all....yah, you heard me..."Di's off the salt"), all veggies and fruit and a titch of wine and dark chocolate. I have more energy and feel more "with it". I LOVE my juiced veggie drink in the morning........love making it, look forward to drinking it. I also got 3 more people at my office to start, not the detox, but the juicing! It's just so so healthy and who wouldn't want to put all those "good for you" veggies down your gullet every morning.

    Sorry to hear about your experience with the lung machine, but once again, you've come through it.......like you will everything else, Miss Carissa.

    Here's to week 2! Bottom's up and go green! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You dad and I have become converted breakfast juicers for sure. Even after the official detox regime is over at the end of January I can see us juicing every morning. We feel better and have much more energy. As Diane says, who wouldn't want to pour all those lovely nutrients into your body every morning, to get your day started? I don't see any hands up ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I too have joined the group, bought my juicer yesterday and couldn't wait to try it. Kale, which I never eat, tastes so good when juiced. Looking forward to trying all kinds of concoctions so bring on the recipes. Thanks Carissa, you are making Victoria green. Love yer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the group Eluned... wait until you taste collard greens and beet tops and red and green swiss chard ... don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Eluned! I'll send you my recipe when I get to work tomorrow. It's basically the first one Carissa post........I've got it nailed now. Even Moe had a taste yesterday morning! I've yet to try mom's concoctions, but will shop for the ingredients on Tuesday. Looking forward to it all! Have a good week Carissa!! (21 more sleeps for you!; 4 more for me!) xo

    ReplyDelete