Tuesday, January 18, 2011

All green all the time

I felt like I needed a juicy pick-me-up from the test kitchen after that last post. Finally got in there with my Breville and experimented with my all green drink to bring it more in line with what I'd like to eventually establish as my simple but delicious everyday breakfast with all the vitamins, minerals (yes, protein and calcium) and low-GI foods I want to start my day with. Here's the best batch of the bunch and pretty damn close to what my cancer guru Kris Carr drinks every day, too:

4 sticks celery
1 whole cucumber, unpeeled
1 inch square of ginger, unpeeled
3 inch broccoli stem chunk
6 small kale leaves
1 large granny smith apple, unpeeled

It's fan-fucking-tastic.

It produced a whopping 20 ml cocktail for me, so might cut back on the cuke or celery a little so I can squeeze in two of these bad boys every day for Pete and me. I try to aim for around 15/16 ml each.

If you've just started juicing, it's so great to mess around in there, throwing in any old veg to see how it enhances or detracts from the taste and to get to know what your sweet and sour needs are, but woman, it takes a lot of buying and storing various veg to be this way. I'm looking to simplify my green store shops so I can just load up on the stuff I use every day and fill the rest of my cart with the stuff I'll eat for lunch and dinner.

If you're not juicing already, it's still January, and you still have cells, so get on it, mofo!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds almost like the green drink we've been making at the house for 4 of us. We do add carrots sometimes which muddies up the colour and we also add lettuce and spinach. We will try making your pure drink when we juice tonight for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete