Monday, January 3, 2011

Detox day three: all about eating out

Here's the thing about me and detoxing, which I've been doing in some form or another at various times of the year for almost 10 years; I need to be able to take my feedbag on the road if I'm going to make it work. And the difference between this detox and all the others is that my intention isn't only to give my my bod a break from the sugars, flours and cooked food swimming around in there. It's to figure out how I'm going eat to live disease-free until I'm old as the hills.

So I went to a pub today with Pete. Spinach salad with beets and goat cheese. Only catch was the candied almonds on top. I'm a complete sucker for candied anything, especially nutjobs. I tasted one to show the mofos who was boss then shoved the rest to the side of my plate, never to be touched again. Suck it, sugar.

Day three and I feel great eating-wise. I know the mornings are hard. The juice is delish, but it's hard to keep it liquid and scarce in the am. So here's the reason why, bastardized from all the books I've read on eating to beat the crap out of disease and live a strong, healthy life (but mostly from Fit for Life):

Your bod follows a regular cycle every day. Cycle one is all about elimination. This happens around 4 am until around  noon. This is when you want to give your body the biggest break on expending energy to digest. Fruit and veg in their raw form (fruit esp) are the easiest and quickest to digest, and getting it in juice form is even lovelier for your bod because you get all the fab enzymes in the stuff without any extra breaking down effort in your guts.

Cycle two is about the appropriation of food and it happens between noon and around 8 pm. You want to keep things light here, too, and the experts will want to pay attention to food combining, so you're never eating a starch and a flesh together (in other words, eat salad and a potato, or salad and fish, but not salad, fish and a potato).

Cycle three is assimilation, which is the heavy lifting of digestion, and happens between 8 pm and 4 am. Eat your heaviest meal before this time because your bod is ready for it and working its arse off to get things moving for the elimination period. But again, watch your food combining to keep digestion times away from the mammoth 12 hours that a big steak and potato meal can demand.

I'm learning as fast as I can on this stuff, and admittedly, I've had six months to figure some shit out, have been juicing in earnest since September, and have been taking in the liquid breakfast for several weeks now, so I feel pretty comfortable with the routine now. But I know the morn is hard. It does get easier. And your beautiful skin-covered home will so thank you for letting it play by its natural rules. Your blood sugar will regulate. Your, ahem, bowels will regulate. Your moods will regulate. You'll soon have energy enough to wake up like a grinning idiot every day.

In other c-word news, I saw my surgeon today. I told her I was pretty damn close to making the decision to hack both breasts off in the name of living longer. She completely understood and was her wonderful, no-nonsense self. Seriously, I want to take this woman out for a martini and hear some surgery horror stories. She's just so damn cool. She's going to try to use her influence to move up my plastic surgery appointment so I can get the new set picked out, ordered and fitted before the ink is dry on my radiation treatments. Exciting and oh so surreal. Really just want to get those sucker dog tumours out already so I can get on with wearing a red sequin bikini around the neighbourhood.

Oh, don't think I won't be that annoying when I get the new set.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are full of beans today! I've been drinking my glass of red wine in the evening ...

    Reading this blog makes me realize that I did a "no-no" last night with our dinner. We were good all day but for dinner we had a piece of salmon, some oven-fried potatoes and coleslaw with the homemade dressing I make specially for this. It was a wonderful meal but now I have just read that we "combined"! Yikes!
    But it won't deter us. This new eating program is not the kind of thing that can topple me because of one mistake, or even a lot I think. Because we are doing the juicing in the AM I feel that it is foolproof. Also the little local juicing business is going great - everyone is happy, all around with lower BSLs and some weight disappearing too!
    When you write your best seller about this whole part of your life, you can mention my name! Love, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so don't sweat the combining thing, Ma. It's important for the master level, but it's more important to do all the other stuff. Seriously, eating potatoes and fish together is a helluva lot better than eating a pan of brownies for dinner... not that I've ever done that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete