Saturday, January 1, 2011

Detox day one: all about the nicoise

Day one of the 30-day detox and so far so good.

Two huge cups of water for both Pete and me between 8 and 10 am, about 16 oz of kale/beet/carrot/celery/cuke/apple/ginger/lemon juice (yum) at around 10:30 while we traipsed down to Gyro for a chilly but beautiful outing with the girls. Amazingly, they were actually ready to go before we were.

At noon I fixed us a modified nicoise salad. Spring greens, chopped up leftover potatoes from last night, cooked green beans, tomato, various sprouts, pea shoots, avocado, radishes and a little goat cheddar (not officially on the detox, but wtf). The dressing was olive oil, grated garlic, dijon, white balsamic, a drop of agave, dried basil and oregano and salt and pepper. Vinegar not on the detox, but again, sue me. It was delish and filling.

Now I'm sipping some decaf green tea and tonight we'll likely have some leftover chicken and maybe some spinach, carrots and salad.

There have been some offline questions about adding stuff into the lunchtime salad to make it more filling (you know who you are, R). I found the nicoise I made was plenty filling, but by all means, add some cooked egg, a piece of fish or chicken or have a baked potato/sweet potato with a little butter and salt). Or have a salad and veggie soup. If you can get through the morning on water and juice, fill up a little more at lunch. I think the morning is the most important time, as is the idea that you go from your lightest to heaviest meal, loading up at dinner. Don't starve yourself, but realize this is mostly about the almighty veg and eliminating the caffeine, sugars and flours. Make it mostly about those things and don't sweat the eggs, fish and chicken to increase the happy fun time factor.

And seriously, my Ma? She's got her own juice/salad delivery service going out there in Glen Lake. You're my hero, lady.

2 comments:

  1. As one on your "Ma's" delivery route, I want to say that everything I ate today was delish. Also, I didn't realize how easy it is to stay on a diet plan, by simply thinking, "if it wasn't delivered by Ma, then it is verbotten!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ... the power I have! Yikes! Talk about the responsibility sitting on my shoulders! I am having a fun time juicing and my "clients" also get salads and dressing for their other meals. All they have to do is put in the bit of protein they want. E.g. egg, chicken etc. I made a dressing in my blender that seems to be working well with the others - virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt, pepper, a pinch of dried mustard, dried oregano and basil and parsley. No matter how much I make it is 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar, then everything you want to add to your taste I'm okay so far and my blood sugar counts are okay too, though I love that friends and family are in it with me - much easier than making a decision to eat healthy on your own while all others around you are eating their meals like it is their last meal ... That man of mine is even sweeter now that he is sugar free with me!

    ReplyDelete