Friday, December 31, 2010

Ding dong the year is dead

Shit, man, what a year. The first five months were bloody hard professionally, but so freakin' rewarding. I try not to be too sentimental or foggy-brained about work, but I had (and still have) a rockin' team and job. Full stop.

Then "the troubles" began in late May and I had the most brutal month of my life. I knew my diagnosis before it was delivered to me in Dr. B's office on June 22, and it was four weeks of feeling like one foot was in the grave and one was back on earth trying to hold it all together somehow.

The c-dawg ripped my old brain out that day and replaced it with mush at first, but it was mush that was willing to learn about how to do things a little differently to say fuck you to the numbers and the two big tumours in my breast. Six months later I feel grateful that things haven't gone as poorly as they could have. I'm here, I feel fantastic, and no matter what the official word is, I've made progress everywhere. According to me.

Now it's December 31 and I'm getting ready to begin a month of cell-cleansing to ready my bod for surgery and the future. And the best part of it all? I have an army of detoxers flushing out the Purdy's along with me. Awesomeness. A particularly big shout out to AJ, who despite a hectic work schedule and not even owning a juicer, has today agreed to join in on the "make juice not war" campaign in January. You rule and I love you!

In the darkest of moments in May and June, I felt the weight of death, disease and a battle I wasn't positive I could be graceful about, but I never felt alone. The whipped cream topping on the friends and family I see and speak to every day has been the support through this ol' blog. And by golly, that warms my tin heart and lizard brain.

Seriously 2010. You were kind of annoying. But I see big things for 2011. Smaller things in some places, but definitely bigger things in other places. :-)

Happy New Years Eve!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Carissa!

    I wish you a happy, healthy, joyous and wonderfully full 2011! I really appreciate your blog and your story and I'm behind you 100%. Again, we've never met (I'm close friends with Natalie Courbet, from Telus), but I support you and your family and send you teh good vibrations from Vancouver.

    You are strength incarnate. You fight that bitch!

    Happy New Year!

    Aleisha Reale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carissa, you and I usually talk together very freely - that is the nature of our relationship - sometimes I forget when I read your blog and write a comment that there are a lot of people who are reading it as well! I realize then that we are sharing our thoughts in front of an audience. If one could choose the audience to share with, you have the best of the best. To, everyone who is reading Carissa's blog, know that your thoughts and words are a big part of how well Carissa is doing at winning the battle. I think I have mentioned before that cancer is not an individual disease, it affects whole families. I would like to include all of you in my extended family from now on - I'm allowed because I'm Italian!

    Grazie and Felice Anno Nuovo to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished reading your posts for the last week Ms Carissa.............YOU ARE NUMBER 1 IN MY BOOKS!! You are so brave, so strong, so out there, so freakin' fantastic and a trooper to boot. Thank YOU for writing your blog and including us all in your daily routine. I have learned so so much in these last 6 months, thanks to you being open about the unfortunate turn your life has taken. However, this is a setback and not a "forever". You will beat this thing (f**k**)and will learn from it, as we all have. You will go on to live a happy, healthy full-filled life with your Pete, Frances and Stella.

    Thank you "Ma"...........you are part of my family too. You raised this wonderful gal we call Carissa and we love her to bits. She is one who is easy to support because she is open and honest, and we will always stand behind her.

    So............Happy New Year to all and let's juice this fucker out of us. I wish ALL the best to you Carissa, and your family, for a healthy 2011. You rock and you WILL be a SURVIVOR!! lots of love, xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Passed three of the four initial taste tests for the juice I prepared for three others and me this morning, they don't have juicers yet either ... Your Dad is the only one who hasn't said anything yet - if he likes it - I'm a success!

    Now I am cooking up the carrot pulp in stock with some onion and I will blend it when it looks ready and give each of us a bowlful! How healthy is that!

    I feel great! I need some help trying to find the best containers to use ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a sweetheart, Aleisha - hope we get to meet someday. Plus, any friend of Natalie's has gotta be a gem.

    Mom - you are absolutely my biggest support system all wrapped up in a tasty Italian package (hmmm... or was it the tasty Italian packages that you warned me against dating?). Wouldn't want to be juicing with anybody else.

    Diane - I'd say you're like my second Ma with all the love you throw my way, but you're more like this fab girlfriend/cheerleader/hot mama with a Black Russian in her hand who's always on the positive side of just about everything (and yet with a naughty sense of humour). Love you to bits, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw, thank youuuuu!

    i'm looking forward to reading the other mofoju's comments on how they're making out and how they feel. glad "mom" is loving it and pete is doing okay without his caaffeee! xo

    ReplyDelete