Monday, September 6, 2010

Post-nappage

There isn't much a fantastic nap can't help, but when that nap somehow comes about when there are girls playing in the house, dog barking, friend over, well... an hour on top of a freshly-made bed is about as good as it gets. I have Pete and only Pete to thank for it, but he's made himself responsible for my post-chemo recoveries all around, so I'll consider this part of the bill.

The girls came back from my parents' house yesterday afternoon and they've been pretty much themselves. A tantrum here, a hug there. It all evens out. I was seriously foggy after a quick nip of my rescue pill but we went to the blessed museum today and escaped the rain for an hour. The smells there were amazing. Cedar, creosote, grass, all the dioramas in their just-the-same-as-always comforting bliss.

Managed to whip up lunch, despite a lack of hunger, and then escaped for said nap. I was feeling about 65% my old self when we decided to traipse to the village in the rain. It was lovely until we got to the parking lot and I was whumped in the face with something chemical smelling that slammed my arse back down in the chemo chair on Friday and left me choking back the varmint. Amazing these nausea flashbacks. I can't even utter the words for any of the food/liquid I consumed on Friday without turning to the side to swallow a wee chunk. But this time it's the actual smells of the place I'm conjuring up. Wicked.

Pete is trying to replace my memories with home-baked bread and pasta sauce, but my nose smells what it wants.

Tomorrow, is of course school, and a chance to revisit what the rebirth of a different sort might hold as I creep past 65% to get to somewhere good.

4 comments:

  1. I have always believed that the smells of the world affect us more than any of our other senses sometimes. Damn that the smells are doing you in so much at the beginning. Maybe we should come up with an marketable product that is a glorified clothes pin. Nice enough looking to wear in public but effective enough to keep all the smells away. Perfume makers beware!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carissa
    Irene just sent me your blog. Glad to hear your almost finished with the treatments. A room filled with spagetti sauce sounds good. That nose of yours needs to be trained on that. Not what it wants lol lol. Have a great day Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try the smell of strong bathroom deodorizer, a pine or a lilac, it is soooo horrible it will help you just concentrating on how awful that is! the getting through is the focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been researching room fresheners made with essential oils. Someone at work makes them for us to use in our staff washroom and they work so much better than those awful commercial air fresheners. I need to know what smells appeal to you...or is it that different smells evoke different reactions at difference times????
    Next time you are visiting with your mother, come across the street and I'll treat you to a shopping trip for the ingredients of an aromatherapy freshener. If you are able to pick out the scents you like, all the better.

    ReplyDelete