Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The call is coming from inside the house

You know those times you realize that it's not everyone else, it's actually you? Kinda like when I figured out that not all the guys my girlfriends dated were true boneheads, I was just seriously unable to see beyond their obvious bonehead characteristics to get to the nuggets of whatever it was my girlfriends saw. Hmmm... then again, maybe they were all boneheads.

Anywho, I had a similarly self-reflective moment today walking Stella to her first day of grade one when I realized that it's not the way the world smells that is ugging me out, it's the way my mouth tastes! So there you have it. As long as I'm always eating or drinking something, I can get the better of the chunks creeping up my throat. Who said chemo was about losing weight - oh no - with the hickory sticks, Tetley Infusions (seriously good in pomegranate flavour, people), veggie burgers with pickles and more hickory sticks, I can triumph. And when I'm not eating, I've got mints and cinnamon toothpaste. It's all so easy. Only problem is, now I'm beginning to have nausea flashbacks when I look at my purse. This is getting stupid.

It's my wedding anniversary today and I'm making homemade chicken pot pie and lemon pudding cake for Pete. Not quite the bounty of our nuptial dinner, but it's the least I can do when I'm sloggin' around this house in yoga pants and a headscarf, a pale imitation of the broad I was eight years ago. And I promise. No old dutch products on the menu tonight, lover.

5 comments:

  1. I remember very well that day eight years ago. It was so beautiful-- the setting, the bride, the weather, the groom. Wow, so much has happened in eight years. And Stella in grade 1. That is so cool. I hope she had a great day. Happy Anniversary to you and Pete. You are a most awesome couple! I remember at the beginning of your relationship being on the ferry with you both and you walked away and Pete stared after you telling me, "I love to watch her butt." I hope he still feels that way :-). -m.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to you and Pete! Hope you start feeling better and better each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing your wasn't there to hear Pete in those early days ... he used to stop guys who passed by us and ask them in a very cranky voice, "what are you looking at"! He was a great protector, as well as an embarrassing parent at times. Happy Anniversary babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will always think on you both as the coolest couple from OLA. Happy anniversary you two. Your girls are so lucky.

    J-Bird

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary Carissa and Pete! When we worked together, I always remember worrying about you and why such a wonderful gal hadn't found someone to settle down with. You always assured me you would and said "he's out there, I just haven't found him yet." Well I remember the day you told your Open School cronies, "there's this guy and I'm quite smitten with him".........and the rest is history. Love to you both, xoxo

    ReplyDelete