Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The end of vino?

I finally wrangled myself a session with a cancer-focused dietitian later today at the Centre. I'm jazzed. I have a gazillion theories that I need some kind of expert to validate and although I know that nutrition and cancer prevention/battling is still a young science, I'm hoping the dietitian's infant knowledge trumps my zygote.

Although I'm trying to give myself a bit of a break during chemo, I've already all but eliminated red meat and jacked up my fruit and veg intake. I haven't actually measured whether I'm a food guide star yet, but from what I've read, the food guide isn't necessarily the be all when it comes specifically to preventing cancer recurrence, which is my raison d'etre now.

I haven't decided whether post-chemo, I'll be a full-fledged veggie, vegan or flexitarian. If this were just about prevention, it would likely be door #3, but when I think about surviving the next 50 years without a recurrence (which can often be nastier than the first time), door #1 or even #2 begin to sound less radical than my meaty brain imagines.

I'm also moving my bod a little more - besides the 60-minute teeny-tiny-arms Tracy Anderson Method I slog through every few days, I've got my twice daily 30 minute walks with Stella and soon a 90-minute Iyengar yoga class once a week. None of this would have fit into my work schedule of yore, so I'll enjoy it while I can and hopefully train myself to work out in the middle of the night when life returns to the hectacity it was B.C.

One thing I can't quite wrap my head around is the question of yes or no when it comes to vino. The latest research about alcohol consumption and cancer seems to point to a lower rate of heart disease (also in my family) but a higher rate of breast cancer recurrence. with even moderate drinking. I've been known to partake in spirits of other sorts, but to eliminate wine makes this post-cancer way of living seem even more like no-fun city. What's a girl to do?

So I'll see what kind of chops this dietition has today and whether I come out any wiser. In the meantime, ladies, and if nothing else, lay off the soy milk and paraben-laden armpit juice.

3 comments:

  1. Your Italian mother just made her own tomato sauce, out of real Roma tomaotes. Yummy!! Not organic, but getting closer My own mother would be in awe and then she'd say, why would you want to go to all that trouble when you can make it "from scratch" from a can! ... all we need to do is get the government to add a subsidy for natural foods to the OAP cheque every month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did your Mom tell you we are going to make our own sausages? We did this years and years ago, with Genoffe's recipe and we are thinking that it makes sense again...oh oh...it's made with pork!
    Aunt Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your insight Carissa. I am very interested to know about diet and particularly healthy diets. Now that we are in RC f/t, I do have the time to focus more on meals and I'm particularly interested in eating better (as I make Hannah bunny macaroni). So pls post what you learn about diet and alcohol, and vitamins and associated info. Thanks so much for your blog, it is great reading and I want you to know that I think of you many times every day.
    - Maggi

    ReplyDelete