Sunday, February 27, 2011

Back on the mommy train

If there's one thing needy little kids are good for, it's getting a girl up out of her lounging capacity sooner. And while we're at it, let's add a willing husband to the mix.

On Friday I went for a car ride with Pete to take Stella and Frances to school/daycare and although we had our juice, we ended up going for breakfast to Mole downtown. If there's one thing Pete can't resist it's huevos rancheros, so I tucked my drains under my shirt and tucked into an eggs benny with pesto potatoes. In the afternoon Pete wanted to get some new jeans to fit his slimmer bod so I tagged along, shuffling and hunched a bit, but I was out, dammit!

Frances had slept well the night before so I had a burst of something, but Friday night she woke up around 4 am and wouldn't take daddy for an answer, so I hoisted my arse out of bed (I swear I'll have abs of steel after this ordeal), soothed her a bit and then spent the rest of the morning on the couch. The chestal is still stiff and numb but the Tylenol takes the edge off.

Yesterday we all went to buy Stella skates for her upcoming lessons so I hung out in a sports store for an hour while we searched for the right pair. It was lunchtime by the time we were through, so off to White Spot for a still-making-it-up-to-my-kids meal. Drains tucked in, across from the hospital so lots of strange people, good to go with my club sandwich and tomato soup.

At home Stella is being a peach. Not demanding, very helpful, pretty much a sweet to the heart. Frances is about 50/50. She's frustrated I can't pick her up or help her on to the couch or toilet or into bed and she has at least one major meltdown a day over me, but the other half of the time she proclaims her undying love of being independent and doing everything to help me and herself out. So, typical three-year old.

It's driving me crazy not to be doing more around the house. I'm picking up and folding and putting away where I can, leaving the jar twisting, salad spinning and laundry carrying to Pete. My man is striking a lovely balance between taking care of my every need and not babying me, so I'm compelled to get up and move around as much as possible to show him and everyone else that I can get over this thing in good form.

Tomorrow Pete goes back to work and I'm going to see if today goes in a way that lets me even think about walking Stella to school. I would love to. And if not, we have neighbours who I'm sure would help out. And these effing drains. I'm hoping they'll be non-draining enough today to warrant removal tomorrow. One more step toward feeling free.

2 comments:

  1. It seems that Mommies are not allowed to be sick, but the truth is that a child never stops needing care. Those abs of steel that you are developing are gonna look wonderful when you show up on the beach in your new bikini this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well well well.......look at you! It's so nice to hear everything you're doing.....shopping, meals out, picking up and folding! Good for you. Talk about bouncing back; well, maybe not bouncing, but definitely on the road to recovery. You are very fortunate with your super wonderful husband and those sweet little girls. Hope the drains get removed today! As always, keep us informed. xo

    ReplyDelete