Friday, December 17, 2010

Detox redux - what to eat for breakfast

My first radiation appointment can be summed up in three phrases: name on paper bag to store gown I'll reuse each time; technicians fussing with my position to ensure laser beams of death don't puncture my heart (and only shave a little off my lungs); me trying desperately to hold back a coughing attack while tears of throat-stifling roll down my cheeks. I do it all again today (with a dose of Herceptin to boot) and every day until January 28. Let's hope today I can get into position in less than 20 minutes.

I wanted to post a little more on the upcoming detox-o-rama. I hope the lovely ladies (and bodacious boys) who are doing it with me are able to buy or borrow the Detox 4 Women book. It's got some good deets about the rationale and meal plans, but please don't feel the need to follow it 100%. I won't be.

I've been doing some dry runs of the breakfast/morning routine to see how much of a baby I'll be about it and how I need to tailor the food. Here's what I've been eating before noon:

At 6:30 am I drink 2 huge glasses of water (about 5 cups)
At 9:30 am I make and drink 1 huge glass of green juice (about 2.5 cups):
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1/3 cucumber (regular but unpeeled)
  • 2 carrots (organic and unpeeled)
  • 1/2 lemon (organic and unpeeled)
  • 1 small beet (regular and peeled)
  • 1/2 bag of spinach
  • 1 apple (organic and unpeeled) - I use apple instead of Stevia or some other sweetener
* you can make this the day/night before (stays good for 24 hrs)

And that's it. If I can't wait until noon to eat lunch, I'll have a banana or other piece of fruit or veg. So far so good. Energy is through the roof - no heavy breakfast feeling, but peeing every 10 minutes.

Believe me - adjusting to a light breakfast goes against everything I've been taught and have practiced since the 1900s. But the idea here is that when you stop eating at bedtime, your body naturally switches into elimination mode and you want to help it do that as much as possible until noon the next day. So eat foods in the morning that can be digested quickly, not slowly, and you'll have digestive energy in spades as the day wears on. Make dinner your heaviest meal, not breakfast.

I know this will be Pete's most difficult adjustment. He's a die hard oatmeal fan. But if I could say goodbye to cereal a few months ago and now my muesli, it's possible, y'all. And those good enzymes your body/cells will be taking in? Sweet child o' mine. And it's only for four weeks. Do I have any more takers on this thing? We're up to nine now!

I'll post more on lunch soon...

4 comments:

  1. I'm tempted but I wanted to check out the book first. My daily routine is not too far off this already, except (like you/Pete) I'm into the morning oatmeal/muesli into a big way. I'm worried about starving myself or feeling hungry, but I'll reserve judgement til I read the book. Dry run for a day or two is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe, C. Just redeemed some Air Mile points for a Breville compact. Hoping it won't take 4 weeks for delivery. If so, I'll catch up.

    Hugs,
    J-Bird

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding that preparing my veggies (washing, peeling etc) ahead of time and storing them in a container in the refrig really encourages and gives me more enthusiasm for juicing. It is labout intensive but it is so worth it! I also prepare and chop things to put into my salad ahead of time and to use them when I want to. I have always said that if someone else would make a salad for me I would eat them more frequently. Sounds like a darn good excuse to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the starving side, S, which is why I'm deviating from the "nothing but veg" rule in the book and adding some fruit into the mix. If I'm hungry in the morning after my juice, I'll eat a banana. Mornings are definitely the trickiest for me, but I've managed to train my bod to love the light feeling.

    J - you rule my world, juicing sister. It takes a week or so to get into the swing, but you will never go back once it becomes habit/routine.

    Ma - if I can go out to my freezing cold porch to grab veg out of my outdoor bin in the morning and still juice it, pre-preparing can only be a better deal.

    ReplyDelete