Thursday, December 9, 2010

Detox the world

Besides rubbing my fuzzy head to will my hair to grow faster and vacillating between wig and no wig for the big work party tomorrow night, I've been thinking a lot about detoxing in January. Every January Pete and I generally do a cleanse to deal with the black russian/egg nog/chocolate santa build-up, but this year (duh) feels a little different.

I have the month of January to get my cells in tip-top shape before surgery in February and although my intake is already riddled with the green juice and many things raw and annoyingly wholesome, I'm thinking of kicking it up a notch in the new year. My lovely sister-in-law in Edmonton sent me the book Detox 4 Women by Natalia Rose. The basic premise lands as close to what I've been aiming for as any other book I've read so far (and I've been consuming these tomes by the dozens, y'all). The nutshell version is four weeks of green juice for breakfast, salad/veggies for lunch and salad/veggies with fish/chicken for dinner, with a yes to red wine and dark chocolate.

It'll mean giving up my precious mid-morning muesli, but otherwise it shouldn't be too brutal to adjust to (with a few parts of the detox tailored to suit me). The reason I want to do it (and thanks, L, for suggesting we do it together) is that I want to recruit a bit of a small army on this thing. Whatever your thoughts are about detoxing, this one is really about molding your everyday intake into something that's immune-boosting and cell-happy. No supplements. No strange mushrooms drinks. No special orders from pretentiousfoods.com. It's about realizing that just because you're healthy now doesn't mean your bod isn't crying out for something better.

Anywho. Just bouncing it around right now. If no one else ends up joining me, I'll have sweet little L to share it with come January 1.

9 comments:

  1. I'm in --not that I have a choice. But I'm with you heart and soul as uze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in: Do I need a juicer?

    J-Bird

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely need a juicer, J. I recommend the Breville compact (or the full-fledged fountain if you swing that way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dad and I will be joining you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think I'm gonna invest in a wee juicer for meself and join in...a perfect time to do a detox and with the perfect person to do it with (okay, well...people by the looks of the posts above) :)

    xo C

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm in with you too Carissa. i pretty well follow the lunch and dinner salads, veggies, chicken and fish already, but about the breakfast. i have high fibre cereal, 2 fruits and skim milk. what's the green juice? do you have it posted here somewhere? where can we get one of those Breville compact juicers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely recommend buying/borrowing the book. It explains the reasons behind the detox and a shitload of other stuff and it's a quick read. As for le juicer, tigerdirect.ca often has refurbished Brevilles at awesome prices, otherwise, the Bay, Sears or Amazon are your best bets. I heart my juicer so, so much.

    The green juice can really be anything you like, but I recommend experimenting. Natalia's recipe for green lemonade is:
    1 head romaine lettuce
    5 to 6 stalks of kale
    1 whole lemon
    a few drops of Stevia

    But I'm not down with the sweeteners so much, so would recommend throwing in a couple of apples instead (in fact, you can't really go wrong with any veggie combo if you throw in an apple or two to cut the bitter). She's not big on adding fruit into the detox, but that's one area I'll be bending her rules. And go organic as much as possible, not just for health reasons, but because you don't have to peel any of the fruit/veggies (which is essential if you want to do this thing daily and quickly).

    I'll post more on the detox in the next few days. So glad you're all in with me on this!

    ReplyDelete