Friday, October 8, 2010

Hair today

My friend Susan will shave her head today to support me, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and, I'd like to think, ultimately to say fuck you to the c-dawg for so often taking more away than it gives.

I've mostly gotten used to being sans hair, but I don't walk around outside, save from a few impromptu door answering occasions, without scarf or wig. I'm not over the vanity of it all and don't know if I'll ever embrace the baldness enough to go grocery shopping on full display. I get enough looks of pity with the scarf and don't have the same energy I did at 18 when I traipsed around in hot pants and bustiers, daring people to look at me (sorry 'bout all that, Dad).

I've been thinking about regrowth lately, now that I'm just over six weeks away from my final chemo treatment (if all goes well, it'll be November 26, y'all). I'm actually looking forward to rockin' a short cut for awhile, a la my style icon Kate Lanphear:


And then maybe red, a la Joan:

Either way, I know I'll never look at my locks the same precious way again. 

I feel simultaneously guilty and all warm and glowy about Susan's grand gesture today, but mostly I feel supremely lucky to have a girl like her in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Go al la Joan, but ditch the cigarette! When I look at all the pictures of you growing up - your hair style is different every time - you have always been experimental and with great results so maybe Kate's look is the way to go ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will look great in any style.
    Also i have done a small experiment, (once your locks start to grow and grow and grow. I say go with or without do what you want) when i wear the scarf i get way more sympathetic looks than when i go without. I think i get more double takes and then the second look is a look of sympathy. I mean what the heehaw? How do "they" know what is going on.
    It is really very pathetic and i kinda want to give then the look of disgust, like when the dirty old men used to check you out. But then i just give them a confident smile and it is enough to put them in their place.
    I say you do what you want.
    With, without what ever. You are smashing my friend. SMASHING!

    ReplyDelete