Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Assembling the troops

If you had asked me five years ago to see a naturopath I would have scoffed a little. I haven't grown up with the hugest of faith in doctors in general, so pair that with a reluctance to get too touchy-feely about myself and my health with anyone other than... well, myself, and you have a pretty cynical chick when it comes to alterno-practices.

Fast-forward to me as a card-carrying cancer girl and my story has changed a bit. I feel like going through the Cancer Agency at 38 must feel a lot like going through the Cancer Agency at 78. In other words, the care is standardized and specific to the cancer not the person. Which is fine for the part of me that's focused on just getting rid of the arseholes in my breast. Slash, burn, poison, kill. Good stuff.

But to be 38 and not ask how did I get it and how can I make sure I don't get it again would make me some kind of zombie. And the standard "we're not really sure" answer is not really good enough.

So I read, ask questions, chat with other survivors and try to figure out what fits me. If I didn't get such a sick feeling from labeling myself a vegetarian or a vegan or a juicer or an insert-your-rules-laden-name-here, I might be closer to adopting something that works, but joining a group and following their program doesn't cut it either. I waver, I dabble, I talk it up and pick it apart. But nothing feels right yet.

So I'm taking another ride in the "it's all about me" plane and stopping next at a naturopath's door. I know absolutely zero about them, other than they follow a whole body and natural approach to health/healing. And spending 90 minutes in a consultation with a health practitioner seems obscene, but wtf. If not now, then when? I might as well assemble all the soldiers I can for this battle, no?

And while I blather on about this crap, my dear mother, who has difficulty eating eggs with too-yellow yolks and in general trying new-fangled foods is leaping into the juicing thing and even ordered two Breville Compacts for me and her today. Possible to love her more? Didn't think so until today.

2 comments:

  1. If she/he tries the milk thing with you, try not to giggle, as for loving me any more ... I'll take all I can get!!

    Love you too babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. your mom is awesome; what a supporter...God bless her. Thx for the info on the juicer/blender. I'll try it soon and get back to you. My brother believes in natural medicine and has done a lot of research on it (he's actually a "doctor of natural medicine in training"). You go girl, anything to make you better is a plus in my eyes. xo

    ReplyDelete