Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm okay, you're okay

I read somewhere, just after my diagnosis, that one day soon I'll wake up and not have the c-dawg as my first thought of the day. It's true, it does happen. Not every day, but I've chalked up enough clear-headed wakeups, noontimes, evenings and nights that I now have these mini moments of panic where I think, am I taking this jerk seriously enough?

At chemo, kicking back with a mag, some saltines and my iPhone, the distraction is momentary. I need only look around me, at the other bald heads in various stages of the disease to see it doesn't fuck around. I get big doses at medical appointments and blood draws, where I get this focused medical attention that makes me feel simultaneously loved and otherworldly. I have this rockin' library now that I can only devour in small bites because... well, because it makes me feel like I have cancer. I get a solid week every three weeks of feeling like ass and wondering if I'll ever enjoy another glass of wine, a banana, a good tooth-brushing, a solid sleep, a bloody steak again. And my family, who is so used to my lack of hair and having me around more often that it's almost one big normal scene now.

And then I read about the husband of the MP who suddenly discovered a football-sized tumour in his gut and is hoping beyond hope that a recent bone marrow transplant will prolong his life. I hear about the wife of a celeb who got cancer three years ago and finally "succumbed", as if to an ever-present temptation of death. I discover stories upon stories of men and women who get the aggressive kick of cancer, like me, and chemo doesn't work. And I panic.

I get so caught up in trying to live a normal life and not making everyone worry about the "what ifs" that I forget that this could all turn to horseshite in an instant, in so many ways. Should I be praying to Saint Philomena every night? Should I be doing something to remind myself daily that this ain't no ordinary life? It's exhausting to even think about, on top of my obsessions with food, cosmetics, exercise, work, money and Mad Men.

I'm thinking I'll go with my gut on this, because damn, September 3 and the last of my effing brutal nausea-inducing chemos is creeping up quickly and I'd like to enjoy a glass of vino before then.

5 comments:

  1. I so look forward to reading your thoughts. You are one brave woman! Keep it up. Don't panic and don't worry about the praying; I, and others, have that covered for you. You need to keep focussed, think POSITIVE, and fight fight fight. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying everything you're missing now. You have tons of people in your corner Carissa........now go have that glass of wine with your hubby and toast life and your survivorhood. (There's a word for you!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sometimes wonder too whether we are taking your illness too lightly. You look well (except for being bald, but your dad has been almost like that for a long time LOL)your life seems to be going at a normal pace. You enjoy food and say you are not losing weight. In short, you are the same beautiful daughter we have always had. Of course there are times, when your dad and I talk before going to sleep that we quietly about how proud we are of you and how we are looking forward to when this segment of your life is finished and you are back to being the big bad girl you were before this illness.
    When I was having the thoughts you sometimes have I used to go into denial. Your dad would say to me, you are looking so much better today and - you know what, I felt better! So, anytime you need him to say it to you, just ask. You are looking better everyday. call it positive thinking, call it denial, whatever ... it worked for me and it will work for you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing and very brave woman! Stay positive and kick ass. That's the only thing to do. You also need to remember your statement from your first post..."Or I fight like a beyotch and live to 100." That's your only what if.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carissa,

    You don't know me, but one of your co-workers is one of my best friends. I just wanted to let you know that healing vibes are being sent to you even from people you don't know! You are very inspiring and amazingly strong. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    Aleisha Reale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Diane, Ma, Leslie and Aleisha. You ladies rock my world. I will indeed continue to fight like a beyotch - I can't be pushed around, y'all! Your supportive words mean more than you know.

    ReplyDelete