Saturday, June 11, 2011

You tell me that it's evolution

It's been awhile, I know. This is the thing about having a job - blogging becomes rather back-burnered, even though I know it is the thing that has led me out of the big wallow and documented my cancer tour in all its glory.

By no means has the c-boat docked for good. It got a new paint job and lido deck, but it's there. Always there. The good thing is, I have no idea if there are any nasty cells in my bod regrouping and laughing at me and my sequin shirts and head hair. I say good, but it's also momentarily terrifying. Because I know that if it comes back, It will be nastier, untamed, and I'll doubt all the work I've done to get to this state of juicy wellness. I didn't feel sick the first time around, and fear a little every day that I'll miss the signs this time. It's a delicate balance between feeling myself up at every traffic light and thumbing my nose at the whole thing so I can just live my life. Aware and yet not aware.

Then I get word of another friend, colleague, woman of the world being smacked in the face with the cancer stick and I think - wow, I'm through that for now and feel lucky. And fuck if it doesn't make me angry that I somehow didn't get rid of it for everyone else.

Work has been a salve. It's normalcy. It keeps me focused on participating in another world where I can make another kind of difference. It's been an adjustment, though. My time is gone again. It gets sucked up so quickly and I need to fight this go round to make it all turn out the way I want. I'll figure it out. I will.

In the meantime, in so many ways I'm still the same annoying Carissa. I argue about stupid stuff. Lose my patience. Rock out to live band karaoke. Eat shit more than I should. And doubt my parenting skills every day of the week. But whatevs. My moments of understanding that this life is sparkly and I must sparkle in it exactly the way I want to are so there now - much more than they were before.

I still have a shitload of work to do. Exercise anyone? When the fuck do I fit that in with two clingy girls around my neck? Meditation? I do a few minutes every day, but I need more. Going vegan? I'm getting there, one less bacon slice a day.

And I'm not alone, right? There's you and you, and then you over there. And like KS said on Tuesday night re: my man about the house, "Your husband is a friggin' saint!" I mean, the guy ordered a sandwich today and asked the waitress to hold the cheese. If that isn't a revolution, people, I don't know what is.

3 comments:

  1. belly laughs every day:) why should the cancer cells get the last laugh? knock em dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you! Sounds like you're back leading a normal life....with some alterations. Don't feel bad about not posting a lot anymore....you are busy. After your last year, you deserve to do whatever you want and if you don't have time to post, so be it.

    Pretty soon, your Hawaii trip will be upon you.......that's going to be awesome. Enjoy every day and keep that spring in your step! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will do it, babe! I KNOW your time is getting sucked up quickly again, but I think you now have your eye on the right prize ... I am so freakin' proud of you!

    ReplyDelete