Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Scan-free, free as the wind blows

I've finally reached another big milestone in the cancer awards ceremony. No more scans. All the results may not be in, but as far as I'm concerned, it'll be slouch-sock day in hell before I get another tin injection, breath into a tube or have a host of electrodes taped to my chest. I'm done.

My veins are calloused now, like for reals. There is no such thing as a painless poke anymore and likely never will be again. So although I still have a handful of Herceptin injections left to do over the summer months (nothing zexier than an IV bruise and a bikini), and perhaps one more bloodwork request, I should be free of all extraneous pokes. I can live my life in blissful ignorance again - pretend I chose the pixie hair and was born with tiny boobies. Act like it was all bloody up to me.

With my last test yesterday, I was waiting for the show to begin and heard the song Judy in Disguise playing in the lab. When I was six I used to shake my hips to that song and swing my Holly Hobby purse like a madwoman, demanding my parents watch me until the music stopped. Riveting stuff. If I can grab a baby toenail amount of that innocence back and erase every hospital visit from my memory in the meantime, I'm golden, Ponyboy.

4 comments:

  1. My Goddess, you have a memory of your childhood that makes me quiver with nervousness! I think I remember you dancing in front of us and demanding our attention, but I didn't remember the songs. The Judy in Disguise video was a hoot. It helped me remember your dad's neru suit (powder blue) and the mini skirt I made to wear with my big brown boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've come a long way baby and you'll never go back there. Enjoy every day; they whizz by especially when you are well. Love you, AJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Carissa,
    ditto to all the above. I just wanted to say that i have been re-reading your earlier posts (a number of times) and i want to Thank you for being so candid about your procedures and your feelings. I appreciated it at the time of your writing; however, given my situation, your blogs are even more appreciated!! So, -selfishly- i'm looking forward to many more of your blogs. I think of you as the 'poster child'. love and hugs, shirley.

    ReplyDelete