Monday, April 18, 2011

Ode to my family


Here's the thing - I actually have a pretty great family. Even before all this cancer shizz came down the pike. I mean, we don't sit around singing kumbaya or anything, but we do laugh and talk and keep each other totally honest amongst all the bullshit that can fly around.

I feel completely fortunate not to have to dissect a bunch of mind game crap or bad feelings on a daily basis because of crummy parents, wretched siblings, a horrific extended brood, a narsty husband or intolerable kids.There have been moments of no sunshine coming out of our arses, but we're mostly just happy to sit around, drink red wine and make fun of each other.

When the cancer train stopped at my station we all recognized the front end from the stop it made at my Ma's bod a few years ago and the history of it throughout my family. We're not unique and certainly not better than the bad cells are relentless. Despite not yet knowing whether I have the BCRA gene yet, I know enough about cancer now to know that this line of disease is likely not based on a shared DNA mutation but rather a shared lifestyle and general non-George Burns-like hardiness.

So when I started going all juicing freak and diet and exercise changeup on everyone, I fully expected a tut-tut, isn't she adorable in a cancerous dying kind of way reaction from my fam. I know I get that from some people - like, good on her for doing what she needs to do to get healthy, but that's not me. And really, I would've been fine to be my own little island of wellness warrior, shunning all things debauch in the name of living past 40. Cuz it's easy for me, right? I mean, it's not easy, per se, but I have a motivation. I have a great big kick in the ass reason to do all this shit. Plus I've been off work and for the most part, not bed-ridden. So good on me for making an effort.

But here's the thing... my family has actually embraced all this crap. Not just my husband, as he puts up with me spooning algae into his mouth. Not just my girls and their daily shot of green blood. Hella, not just my mom and dad and their complete transformation, at almost 70 (sorry, Ma) and 75 years old, into juicing, nearly vegetarian, rebounding, vitamin-taking, kick-ass oldies.

This mutha goes beyond my original five-person band to my cousins, who are making such big changes in their lives in the name of "what the hell, I'll try this, too" and my aunt, who is lookin' so glowy and healthy lately, to my brother and sister-in-law who juice every day and buy organic like a couple of insufferable gen-Xers, to my bro and sis-in-law in Edmonton, who feed me countless wellness ideas and sparked the great detox in January.

They're all kinds of awesome, to be sure, but the best part of all is that they still let me hang out with them so we can drink red wine and make fun of each other.

2 comments:

  1. For once, I am speechless ... almost ... now, what was the name of that brand new 2011 car you've been hankering for? It's yours! You deserve it! I've always wanted to rob a bank, I have some old pantihose that will fit over my head ... I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is because you are loved and respected by your fam. You rock sista! And you teach them/us everything you've learned. You're selfless....you could have thought let them go and educate themselves and kept all your findings to yourself. But you didn't.....you shared it all and made us all wiser and healthier by doing so! Give yourself a pat on the back for being an awesome daughter, wife, mither, sister, aunt, grandmother (oops, went too far!!) and friend.

    Loved the picture! Oh so sweet! Hey, your juice glass looks like mine! xo

    ReplyDelete